Sunday, January 22, 2023

Mark West Pinot Noir tasting


Name: Mark West Black Pinot Noir
Variety: 100% Pinot Noir
Region: Monterey County, California
Country: USA
Year: 2017
Price: $12

 Critic Review

https://www.tastings.com/Wine-Review/Mark-West-2017-Pinot-Noir-California-USA-10-15-2018.aspx

   Deep purple color. Oaky aromas and flavors of crushed berries, vanilla bean, and smoked nuts with a supple, bright, dryish light-to-medium body and a smooth, medium-length finish with suggestions of salted caramel and pie crusts with light oak flavor. A food-friendly Pinot Noir for the table with nice berry aromas.

 Wine Folly

According to page 150 of the book, Pinot Noir wines are known for flavors like cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, and vanilla. I found this wine to be very fruit-forward with a bit of vanilla. I didn't taste much of the earthier notes like clove or mushroom, though there was a hint of some spices that I couldn't identify. I thought this wine lined up pretty well with the book's description of wines from California's Central Coast.

 Personal Review

   This wine had a rich smell with notes of blackberry, plum, and chocolate. The flavor was cherry-forward, with some chocolatey flavors on the back end, with a hint of vanilla under everything. It was on the drier side, but there was still a pleasant sweetness. I thought this one was great, especially for the price. I tasted it on its own, but I think I would pair it with some food if I had it again.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread and Butter Merlot tasting

Name: Bread and Butter Merlot Variety: 100% merlot Region: California Country: United States Year: 2019 Price: $17 Critic Review ...