Sunday, February 26, 2023

Cune Rioja Blend Tasting

Name: Cune Rioja
Variety: 60% Garnacha, 30% Tempranillo, 10% Graciano
Region: Rioja
Country: Spain
Year: Unspecified
Price: $15

 

Critic Review

"There is a new organic recd, the debut of which is the 2019 Cune Organic, a blend of 60% Garnacha, 30% Tempranillo, and 10% Graciano from external suppliers. That's quite an unusual blend for them, as they tend to use more Tempranillo, and it brings a different combination of freshness and power. I nearly fell off my chair when I put my nose in the glass, as the wine screamed GARNACHA - but traditional Garnacha at its floral and herbal best, with the sweet cherry fruit, red licorice and the chalky tannins from the limestone soil. It's balanced, tasty, and juicy, truly delicious. They have newer released a wine like this or such a young red. Amazing young Garnacha for the by-the-glass market. Bravo!"

- Robert Parker (via the Vintage Cellar)

Wine Folly

 I did not find a page on Garnacha or Graciano, but page 175 says Tempranillo wines are known for their cherry and cedar notes. I definitely tasted cherry, and I also tasted oak, which lines up with the woody notes the book says to expect.

Personal Review

This wine is very fruit-forward, with particularly strong notes of cherry and strawberry, and some oaky, chocolatey notes behind. This wine got significantly better after I had it open for a few days, which I attribute to the fact that I did not initially decant it. This is one of the better red wines I've tried, and it's nicely priced at $15. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread and Butter Merlot tasting

Name: Bread and Butter Merlot Variety: 100% merlot Region: California Country: United States Year: 2019 Price: $17 Critic Review ...